Hands up who gorged a little too freely this Christmas? Be honest now. And then along comes a new year, full of new possibilities, and you vow to cut back on the cakes and treats, lace up your trainers and start pounding the pavement.
Getting healthy is an admirable resolution of course, but that doesn’t mean you have to exist on a diet of kale and spirulina smoothies. Why not bake up a batch of bite sized cherry and marzipan scones? By using low fat Greek yoghurt these scones pack considerably less calories than your standard version, and the cherries count towards your 5 a day (that’s what we’re telling ourselves anyway), while the marzipan gives them a special sweetness.
Ingredients For Your Cherry And Marzipan Scones
You’ll need the following ingredients for your scones (these quantities make 12 small scones):
* 4oz marzipan
* 2 tablespoons of sugar
* 14oz self-raising flour
* 1 teaspoon of baking powder
* ½ teaspoon of salt
* 3oz butter
* 8oz Greek yoghurt
* ½ teaspoon almond extract
* 12oz fresh cherries – pitted and quartered
For the topping you’ll need:
* 1-2 tablespoons of milk
* Sliced almonds
* 1 tablespoon sugar
Baking Your Scones
You’ll find it a lot easier to create the scone mix if you use a food processor, but if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty you can use fingers to combine ingredients.
1. Combine your marzipan, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt together. Pulse with the food processor, or rub together with your fingers until the mix looks like breadcrumbs.
2. Add the butter to the mix and combine. Again you want the mix to look like breadcrumbs.
3. Pour in your Greek yoghurt and add the almond extract. Mix together until it forms a thick dough.
4. Dust your work surface with flour and dump the dough onto it. Flour the top of the dough and knead it, folding it over a few times. Once the dough is smooth, roll it out into a rectangle about 12 inches by 8 inches.
5. Layer the cherries over one half of the dough and then fold it over the top, pressing down into place.
6. Chill the dough in the fridge until firm, about 30 minutes should do the trick.
7. Preheat your oven to 220oC and line a baking sheet with parchment.
8. Remove the dough from the fridge and carefully slice into 12 individual cherry and marzipan scones.
9. Brush each scone with milk then sprinkle on sliced almonds and sugar to top.
10. Bake your cherry and marzipan scones until golden brown – about 15 minutes or so, but exact cooking times may vary.
And that’s it. Allow your scones to cool and then enjoy with a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Adding marzipan to the scones gives them a delicious almondy kick without them being too sweet. Who said cakes can’t be part of a healthy lifestyle?