Organix is celebrating National Breakfast Week (24th – 30th January) to help inspire mums and dads to get a great start to the day with their little ones. So why not shake up breakfast time and try something new. For babies, Organix has a range of tasty cereals and for babies, toddlers and mum and dad why not try one of Organix’ simple and tasty recipes.
Dr Frankie Phillips Nutrition Adviser to Organix shares her reasons why eating breakfast is so important, plus some easy, healthy breakfast ideas that babies - and all the family - will love.
* Research shows it really is the most important meal of the day.
* Breakfast is an energy boost - it replenishes and restores the energy that’s been used up overnight, after all it literally means to “break fast”!
* Eating breakfast has been shown to boost mental and physical performance - giving you and your little one more get up and go, and making you more alert for the day ahead.
* Sitting down to eat breakfast together is a great way to start the day as a family.
* Breakfast is a perfect opportunity to fit in a wide range of healthy nutrients, vitamins, minerals protein and energy - all needed for your little one’s growth and development.
Top tip: Try starting the day with a relaxed breakfast together. Try not to rush – getting up 15 minutes earlier will make breakfast a far more relaxed affair.
To help you keep breakfast healthy, nutritious, delicious, quick and simple try Frankie’s ideas:
* Use breakfast as a chance to include some of your 5 a day - try adding some chopped banana or dried fruit to cereal or porridge (dried apricots and raisins can boost iron content), or for older family members go for baked beans, mushrooms or tomatoes on a slice of toast. A small beaker of unsweetened fruit or vegetable juice (150 ml) diluted with water also counts.
* Dried breakfast cereal with milk is a quick and easy favourite for all - go for unsweetened cereals. Babies need to drink around 500 - 600 ml of formula or breast milk by the time they are approaching their first birthday, so cereal is a great way of getting them to have the milk they need without using a bottle, and expressed breast milk can be used on cereal too. After one year, your little one can have whole cow’s milk on his cereal.
* Have a protein boost by trying scrambled egg or chopped up boiled egg (make sure it’s cooked through) with a slice of toast, or if you’re in a hurry, toast, spread with cream cheese. Even quicker - stir some dried cereal and frozen berries, or a fruit puree, into whole-milk yoghurt.
* Get the whole family into a porridge habit. It’s a slow release energy food, fills you up and keeps you going, so it’s a great way to start the day. Porridge can be made up with formula or breast milk for your baby. For extra flavour and texture try topping it with fruit puree or dried fruit.
* Mix up a breakfast smoothie using milk, with added fruit and a spoonful of peanut butter.
* If you are having breakfast on the go chop up some banana and mix in some dried breakfast cereal so that your little one can enjoy these as finger foods. Don’t forget to include a cup of his milk to go with it.
Breakfast cereals from Organix
Organix supports you and your little one on your weaning adventure by making it fun, simple and tailored for you – after all, all babies are different! Organix has developed a range of seven baby cereals with a variety of textures and tastes to help your baby explore food at their own pace and help them develop new skills. The cereals have all the benefits you would expect from the award winning Organix baby range – organic ingredients, added vitamin B1, and all the flavour comes from fruit and grains with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. And of course they all come with the Organix No Junk Promise.
For more breakfast recipes, weaning advice and to download your free copy of the Organix Little Book of Weaning please visit www.organix.com. You can share your breakfast ideas, recipes, experiences and photos with other parents at #BabiesBreakfastClub.
How would you like to win a £20 bundle of stage 2 & 3 Organix cereals? To enter all you need to do is enter using the Rafflecopter form below. Good luck and don't forget to enter my other competitions.
1. 1 prize to 1 winner (£20 bundle of stage 2 & 3 Organix Cereal)
2. Prize supplied directly from the PR.
3. Competition ends 29/02/16
4. Incomplete entries with be disqualified.
5. UK entries only.